check_openmanage

Trond Hasle Amundsen t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no
Tue Apr 26 18:39:49 CEST 2011

Ashcor Technologies <ashcor at optonline.net> writes:

> the server is a PowerEdge T105.  It IS running slow but I'll be damned
> if I can figure out why, I'm beggining to suspect bad ram as the
> performance meter reports minimal load.

One thing to check is the power management setting in the BIOS. We set
up a few blade servers recently that had set this to "active power
controller", and this caused the server to be extremely
sluggish. Setting this to "OS Control" or "Maximum Performance" solved
the issue. Try:

  # omreport chassis pwrmanagement config=profile
  Power Profiles

  Maximum Performance     : Not Selected
  Active Power Controller : Not Selected
  OS Control              : Selected
  Custom                  : Not Selected

You can set the profile to max performance with:

  omconfig chassis pwrmanagement config=profile profile=maxperformance

Just a tip, but worth checking.

> here is the command line in the NSC.ini
>
> [modules]
> command[check_openmanage]=check_openmanage.exe -t 60 --check
> fans=0,volt=0
>
> on the nagios server:
>
> /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_nrpe -H $hostname$ -p 5666 -c
> check_openmanage -t 60
>
> I'm pretty sure it's not the Check_nrpe command line as this works fine
> on several other servers.  it's def something on the client server
> itself so this points to the NSClient++ setup.

Can't see anything wrong with these definitions..

> note I have been testing by running NSClient++.exe /test so i can watch
> the client server and it is getting the injection command and reporting
> the timeout locally.

Good. But it's still weird that you get a timeout after 30 seconds even
when you specify a 60 sec timeout. Try running check_openmanage.exe
manually on the server with the same options and see if it then behaves
in the same way. If so there is some sort of bug in the plugin that only
affects the .exe version.

Regards,
--
Trond H. Amundsen <t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no>
Center for Information Technology Services, University of Oslo