Why is check_openmanage so slow on PowerEdge R510?

Trond Hasle Amundsen t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no
Thu Apr 14 13:26:07 CEST 2011

Helmut Wollmersdorfer <helmut.wollmersdorfer at fixpunkt.de> writes:

> Another question:
>
> I always get on all of the R510s (few days old):
>
> root at xen11:~# /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_openmanage
> Cache Battery 0 in controller 0 is Charging (Ready) [probably harmless]
> root at xen11:~# uptime
>  12:08:35 up 2 days,  1:22,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
>
> I wonder a little bit that the batteries are not full after some days powered,
> or if the information is wrong.

The plugin is simply reporting what OMSA says, so if the info is wrong
it would have to be in the hardware or OMSA level. However I don't think
that this is the case. Batteries take a long time to charge for new
servers, i.e. if the battery is brand new and hasn't been charged
before.

At one time we had a battery that didn't finish charging for a week,
called Dell and got a replacement battery. This was during a regular
charge cycle. In your case I would give it a few more days.

> Also I tried to '--blacklist bat_charge=0,0' (and other combinations), but
> blacklisting does not work.

Look in the debug output for the battery ID, which consists of the
controller number and battery number with colon as delimiter. In your
case it would be

  --blacklist bat_charge=0:0

or simply use 'all':

  --blacklist bat_charge=all

But, as we in fact did experience a case where the battery never
finished charging I would advice against this. We just ignore the
battery charge warnings unless they persist for days. It can be
annoying, but we decided that we can live with it :)

Cheers,
--
Trond H. Amundsen <t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no>
Center for Information Technology Services, University of Oslo