Why is check_openmanage so slow on PowerEdge R510?

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut.wollmersdorfer at fixpunkt.de
Thu Apr 14 12:19:55 CEST 2011

Hi Trond,

Am 13.04.2011 um 17:39 schrieb Trond Hasle Amundsen:

> The simple answer is that omreport commands take time. They represent
> the vast majority of the plugin execution time.

First, thanks for the fast reaction.

> The reason that 'check_openmanage --only fans' takes significantly
> more
> time than the corresponding omreport command is that the plugin first
> runs 'omreport -?' to determine if this is a blade or not. If you add
> the time it takes to run 'omreport -?', the omreport fans command and
> perl interpreter time you should arrive at about the time it takes
> 'check_openmanage --only fans' to finish.

OK, then this is the price for convenience.

After having close looks into the alternative plugins I choosed this
one because of the automagic, the very good documentation and the
"good practice" Perl code. Congratulations - fine code. I will try
check_linux_bonding too.

> The plugin is much faster if used in SNMP mode, especially if you lots
> of storage. Example from a 2950 with a couple of MD1000 shelves of
> extra
> storage:
>
>  $ time ./check_openmanage -H foo
>  OK - System: 'PowerEdge 2950 III', SN: 'XXXXXXX', 16 GB ram (8
> dimms), 3
>  logical drives, 32 physical drives
>
>  real    0m1.725s
>  user    0m0.397s
>  sys     0m0.013s

Yesterday after posting my question I took a look in the Perl code for
maybe finding the reason. And then I tried SNMP mode:

root at xen10:/# time perl /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_openmanage  -H
localhost --only fans
FANS OK - 5 fan probes checked

real    0m0.191s

Thus over SNMP it is 3-4 times faster and CPU consumption is ~40% lower.

Another question:

I always get on all of the R510s (few days old):

root at xen11:~# /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_openmanage
Cache Battery 0 in controller 0 is Charging (Ready) [probably harmless]
root at xen11:~# uptime
  12:08:35 up 2 days,  1:22,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

I wonder a little bit that the batteries are not full after some days
powered, or if the information is wrong.

Also I tried to '--blacklist bat_charge=0,0' (and other combinations),
but blacklisting does not work.

Cheers

Helmut Wollmersdorfer