Warning while starting Nagios (Changed for Sync to Bulk(NPCD) mode of PNP operation)

Assaf Flatto nagios at flatto.net
Mon May 17 13:33:40 CEST 2010

Jatin Davey wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am using Nagios with PNP4nagios as a graphing addon. I was using the
> synchronous mode of PNP operation where in for every data collected the
> process_perfdata is run and the data gets stored in the database. My
> polling was such that for few services like CPU and bandwidth usage the
> frequency of polling was done every 20 secs. This added a lot of load on
> my nagios server box. Its CPU was constantly working at 70-75% and hence
> i decided to switch over to Bulk with NPCD mode and followed all the
> instructions given in the PNP4 site. Everything went fine and nagios
> also verified the configurations correctly. But while starting the
> nagios service i got the following error message as shown below.
>
> Can someone tell me what was the reason for it and is there anything
> that i should be concerned. Please let me know.
>
> Note: After starting the nagios server again i am seeing the data being
> collected and shown in the graphs. No issues in this regard. Now the
> load on my nagios server is significantly reduced. I could see that the
> CPU usage has come down from 70-75% to 40%.
>
> Running pre-flight check on configuration data...
>
> Checking services...
>          Checked 199 services.
> Checking hosts...
>          Checked 24 hosts.
> Checking host groups...
>          Checked 2 host groups.
> Checking service groups...
>          Checked 0 service groups.
> Checking contacts...
>          Checked 16 contacts.
> Checking contact groups...
>          Checked 1 contact groups.
> Checking service escalations...
>          Checked 0 service escalations.
> Checking service dependencies...
>          Checked 0 service dependencies.
> Checking host escalations...
>          Checked 0 host escalations.
> Checking host dependencies...
>          Checked 0 host dependencies.
> Checking commands...
>          Checked 41 commands.
> Checking time periods...
>          Checked 5 time periods.
> Checking for circular paths between hosts...
> Checking for circular host and service dependencies...
> Checking global event handlers...
> Checking obsessive compulsive processor commands...
> Checking misc settings...
>
> Total Warnings: 0
> Total Errors:   0
>
> Things look okay - No serious problems were detected during the
> pre-flight check
> [root at pc-fedora-1 objects]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/nagios start
> Starting nagios:su: warning: cannot change directory to
> /var/spool/nagios: No such file or directory
>   done.

As it says in the bottom of the error list - you are missing a
directory  for nagios to work in .

check that the directory exists and that it has the permissions for the
nagios user to read/write to it.
This might be needed as the cache location (spool area) and may cause an
increase in use of CPU and RAM resources  , which might also impact the
performance of nagios and the internal availability and trending nagios
keeps.

Assaf

--
Never,Ever Cut A Deal With a Dragon

I am doing a Charity Bike ride On the 27 of June for the
Capital to Coast Charity. Please help by Donating
http://www.justgiving.com/Lovefilm-capital-to-coast