Warning while starting Nagios (Changed for Sync to Bulk(NPCD) mode of PNP operation)

Jatin Davey jashokda at cisco.com
Mon May 17 08:51:28 CEST 2010

Hi All

I am using Nagios with PNP4nagios as a graphing addon. I was using the
synchronous mode of PNP operation where in for every data collected the
process_perfdata is run and the data gets stored in the database. My
polling was such that for few services like CPU and bandwidth usage the
frequency of polling was done every 20 secs. This added a lot of load on
my nagios server box. Its CPU was constantly working at 70-75% and hence
i decided to switch over to Bulk with NPCD mode and followed all the
instructions given in the PNP4 site. Everything went fine and nagios
also verified the configurations correctly. But while starting the
nagios service i got the following error message as shown below.

Can someone tell me what was the reason for it and is there anything
that i should be concerned. Please let me know.

Note: After starting the nagios server again i am seeing the data being
collected and shown in the graphs. No issues in this regard. Now the
load on my nagios server is significantly reduced. I could see that the
CPU usage has come down from 70-75% to 40%.

Running pre-flight check on configuration data...

Checking services...
         Checked 199 services.
Checking hosts...
         Checked 24 hosts.
Checking host groups...
         Checked 2 host groups.
Checking service groups...
         Checked 0 service groups.
Checking contacts...
         Checked 16 contacts.
Checking contact groups...
         Checked 1 contact groups.
Checking service escalations...
         Checked 0 service escalations.
Checking service dependencies...
         Checked 0 service dependencies.
Checking host escalations...
         Checked 0 host escalations.
Checking host dependencies...
         Checked 0 host dependencies.
Checking commands...
         Checked 41 commands.
Checking time periods...
         Checked 5 time periods.
Checking for circular paths between hosts...
Checking for circular host and service dependencies...
Checking global event handlers...
Checking obsessive compulsive processor commands...
Checking misc settings...

Total Warnings: 0
Total Errors:   0

Things look okay - No serious problems were detected during the
pre-flight check
[root at pc-fedora-1 objects]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/nagios start
Starting nagios:su: warning: cannot change directory to
/var/spool/nagios: No such file or directory
  done.