active checks vs. passive checks

Richard Gliebe richard.gliebe at fhv.at
Thu Mar 11 10:08:58 CET 2010

On 3/11/10 9:44 AM Mark Elsen wrote:
>> Is this the right way to works with passive checks?

Hi Marks,

thanks for your replay.
and sorry, but its my first time to play with passive checks.

>   - What is the goal of using passive checks ?

We have some servers, which are located outside from our network and
without a permanent connection to our main nagios server.

> A service being defined
> as passive , means that the result of the status check,for that
> particular service, is not
> initiated by  NAGIOS but delivered to NAGIOS by an external program,
> such as NSCA (for instance).
> NRPE determined checks are initiated by NAGIOS (....).

how do I have to check the services on the servers which are outside of
our network? Do I have to install a hole nagios environment (like a
second Nagios server?) or only the nagios-plugins, or something else?

Let me explane.

muninbsd (FreeBSD 7.3) is my first test server for passive checks.
Our Main Nagios Server is running nagios-3.2.0 on a FreeBSD 7.2 STABLE Box.

On muninbsd I've installed only the nagios-plugins and nrpe (as above,
I'll delete the nrpe package).

muninbsd# pkg_info | grep -i nagio
nagios-plugins-1.4.14,1 Plugins for Nagios
nrpe-2.12_1         Nagios Remote Plugin Executor

to send the checks results I'll install NSCA (server or client?).

sorry for my stubid questions, but after reading some documentation, I
can't see any light ...

many thanks
Richard