active checks vs. passive checks

Mark Elsen mark.elsen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 09:44:15 CET 2010

> Hi everyone,
>
> at the moment I'm playing around with passive checks.
>
> maybe I'm to stupid, but will I be on the right way?
>
> I've set up a new Server group called "passive-servers' with only one test
> server called "muninbsd"
>
> this server will be monitored like a active server. I've only changed the
> parameter "active_checks_enabled" to 0 and the parameter
> "passive_checks_enabled" to 1. "check_freshness" is set to 1 and
> "check_freshness" is 4800.
>
> some services like check_load, check_disk, check_mysql will be done by
> check_nrpe, started by the nagios main server.
>
> Is this the right way to works with passive checks?

  - What is the goal of using passive checks ? A service being defined
as passive , means that the result of the status check,for that
particular service, is not
initiated by  NAGIOS but delivered to NAGIOS by an external program,
such as NSCA (for instance).
NRPE determined checks are initiated by NAGIOS (....).

M.