active checks vs. passive checks

Mark Elsen mark.elsen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 11:07:46 CET 2010

> We have some servers, which are located outside from our network and
> without a permanent connection to our main nagios server.

> how do I have to check the services on the servers which are outside of
> our network? Do I have to install a hole nagios environment (like a
> second Nagios server?) or only the nagios-plugins, or something else?

If there isn't a permanent connection with the NAGIOS server, the
issue becomes tricky as even standard
passive setups imply that a result can be submitted to NAGIOS at any time.
If that is not possible the program which submits the result will
fail, when no communication with the NAGIOS
server can be established. Hence provisions must be taken, to setup a
system which can queue results , and send,
information to the NAGIOS server when possible.

But this has consequences ,for the NAGIOS operator, which must be
aware of the fact that any service
status in that case, may be 'time-dilatation-affected'  , and may not
represent the actual status of the service in current time.
This does not mean that such setups will be meaningless, but it depens
on SLA levels, w.r.t to the remote service being monitored.

M.