active checks vs. passive checks

Richard Gliebe richard.gliebe at fhv.at
Thu Mar 11 09:30:40 CET 2010

Hi everyone,

at the moment I'm playing around with passive checks.

maybe I'm to stupid, but will I be on the right way?

I've set up a new Server group called "passive-servers' with only one
test server called "muninbsd"

this server will be monitored like a active server. I've only changed
the parameter "active_checks_enabled" to 0 and the parameter
"passive_checks_enabled" to 1. "check_freshness" is set to 1 and
"check_freshness" is 4800.

some services like check_load, check_disk, check_mysql will be done by
check_nrpe, started by the nagios main server.

Is this the right way to works with passive checks?

I've attached my config file "global.cfg" for my passive server.

 From my side everythinks looks fine, but ...

Maybe someone can take a look on it, if it is as it should be ;-)

many many thanks
Richard

P.S.: sorry for my poor english ;-)