Additional states in Nagios

Tue Jun 29 05:05:40 CEST 2010

Actually, there are four states reported by plugins: OK, WARNING, CRITICAL and UNKNOWN. Services will have the same four states.

There are also three states that hosts can have: UP, DOWN, UNREACHABLE. UP, DOWN and unreachable depends on the state reported by the plugin, as well as the state of parents. http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/hostchecks.html

HARD and SOFT states are separate from all of that. You can have a soft warning or a hard warning, and a soft critical or a hard critical. http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/statetypes.html

OK, WARNING, CRITICAL and UNKNOWN are the actual state of whatever you are monitoring. The plugins decide which state it is. HARD, SOFT, as well as UP or DOWN, are computed by Nagios based on the status reported by the plugins. Exactly how Nagios does that is configurable.