Additional states in Nagios

Parish, Brent bparish at cognex.com
Tue Jun 29 14:42:34 CEST 2010

Kevin gave a GREAT answer - succinct and yet informative.
It sounds like he answered the first part of the question - clearing the
ambiguity of the states.

I interpreted the second part (the dream) as the desire to have Nagios
differentiating between informational messages and things that perhaps
require action (alarms).

I don't think there is any single 'catch all' solution to this, I
suppose it really depends on your environment, admin team, etc.  For
example, in your company, ALL alerts from S.M.A.R.T. disks might deserve
immediate attention.  In my world, we take the ostrich approach to those
(just kidding, and don't flay me for perpetuating the myth of ostrich
heads and sand).

I personally use a combination of things to tune the alerts.  For
example, with printers alerting on low toner, I set the frequency of
alerts to once every 24 hours, so as not to flood people with non
critical messages.  For disk alerts that come in as 'unknown' state, I
have set the retry time high to avoid extra alarms getting sent just
because network latency is high (thus returning the unknown state).  I
have also modified the plugins to strip out messages/states that are (to
us here) strictly informational and not worth alarming on.

And for any alert that comes in, you can always just 'acknowledge' it
through the CGIs to hush it if it is strictly informational - it will
alarm again (depending on your setup) if/when it changes state again
(for better or worse).

Lastly, though it is a TON of work, you can rebuild the entire alerting
process.  I store user preferences in a MySQL database and let the
individual admins change those through a CGI.  Then I send ALL Nagios
alerts through that processor which matches up the alert, time of day,
host, service, etc against the user prefs to decide who gets alerted and
how.
When you do something like that, you can then define alternative methods
of alerting.
For example, I get alerted on disks at warning level during business
hours, but not until critical level off hours.  In addition, I have the
alerts just going to email during business hours, but I also send via
instant messenger and to a home email address in off hours.  You could
use the same intelligence to split out what are strictly informational
messages vs. what are real alerts.

Ooops, I said lastly, didn't I?  Another thought: maybe you could send
all alerts to an Exchange (group) mailbox, and use Exchange rules to
filter the informational messages vs. real alerts and send those on to
individuals.

Just my 2 cents.
- Brent