Additional states in Nagios

Jason W. jwellband at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 04:18:15 CEST 2010

(I've tried Googling for the answer, but there seems to be some
ambiguity in defining terms - even in the Nagios docs)

I've got Nagios monitoring a bunch of things on our servers and I also
have events being sent to Nagios via passive checks. This is all
useful information to us as sysadmins, but there is a difference in
criticality, e.g. is is down, is it about to go down, or is it purely
informational?

The latter is what I am writing about. Currently, there are two
"states" we use - WARNING and CRITICAL. This is the ambiguous part
since the docs refer to states as HARD or SOFT, but the plugin API
docs refer to WARNING and CRITICAL as states. I realize there is also
UNKNOWN, but with non-technical people occasionally looking at our
Nagios, that may lead them astray...

Is there a way to get more states, e.g. INFORMATION?  This would allow
one to sort by state in the web interface. Currently, we use WARNING
for most informational messages, so there is a mashup of "Service X is
about to die" and "Server Y did something you may want to know about"

I am guessing not without hacking the source, but I can dream ;)

Thoughts & comments appreciated - even if it's to say I'm Doing it Wrong.

--
HTH, YMMV, HANW :)

Jason

The path to enlightenment is /usr/bin/enlightenment.