checks per host

Joel Brooks jbrooks at oddelement.com
Mon Jul 12 22:38:21 CEST 2010

Thanks guys.

I'm not so worried about the monitoring server.  It has lots of head room,
and/but I will continue to monitor that.

I was mainly interested to know about people's experiences using nagios with
a lot of checks per host in terms of usability (web interface),
configuration, etc.

i.e. would it be of any value to focus on checking multiple items per check
rather than having an individual check per monitored item as one person
suggested.

I'm just wondering what people think of using the tools with 100 (or more)
checks per host.

..just general opinion / experiences...

also wondering about load from checks on the monitored hosts... i.e. it
would suck if monitoring actually caused degradation in performance... does
having a lot of checks on a host cause problems?

i.e. I've got the basics covered - cpu, memory, disk.  now i'm adding a lot
of application specific checks - queues, performance counters, log file
pattern matches, etc.  is there a break point (not on the nagios server, but
rather on the clients, or in the UI)?

thanks for the replies.