checks per host

dave stern - e-mail.pluribus.unum dit.dash at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 20:48:56 CEST 2010

As pointed out, normal depends on your environment. Some sites only
check a handful
of things per host; some check more.  The bigger issue is if your
server can handle
the number of checks and in a timely fashion. Look at nagios parameters
Max_service_check_spread,
max_host_check_spread
as well as the various params for individual services such as check_interval

If you have a check that takes a long time to complete, you'll probably want to
run it less frequently.

If the client were Unix, not windows, you'd have the luxury of being
able to run
the check on the host in question. This can be done either via cron and have it
generate a status file that nagios then checks or using NSCA.