checks per host

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Mon Jul 12 23:04:54 CEST 2010

On 12 July 2010 18:39, Joel Brooks <jbrooks at oddelement.com> wrote:
> hey gang,
>
> I'm trying to get a sense of what's normal for the number of checks per
> host.
>
> I'm pushing nagios to a number of servers and the list of things I want to
> monitor keeps growing.
>
> For some servers, I've got > 30 checks - some > 50.
>
> what is "normal" out there?
>
> is there a practical limit?

The golden rule I use is only monitor something if someone actually
wants to know.

In practice this means I monitor disk space, memory, cpu and whether
the virus checker is ok for almost every WIntel server, but everything
else just depends.  The support teams soon tell me if they don't want
monitoring on something!

I guess the most checks I have on any server is about 40 - where the
server runs stuff for half a dozen similar accounts and each account
needs a handful of checks.

The most I have on any 'host' is 94 - where a wireless switch has
90-odd access points connected and I need to know if any of them drop
off.

There are lots of devices which I just ping - a third party does the
detailed monitoring for those - I do the ping to make sure the third
party is doing their job okay.

Whether all this is 'normal' I can't say for sure.