checks per host

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Mon Jul 12 20:47:51 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 1:39 PM, Joel Brooks <jbrooks at oddelement.com> wrote:
> hey gang,
>
> I'm trying to get a sense of what's normal for the number of checks per
> host.
>
> I'm pushing nagios to a number of servers and the list of things I want to
> monitor keeps growing.
>
> For some servers, I've got > 30 checks - some > 50.
>
> what is "normal" out there?
>
> is there a practical limit?

The limit is what your HW can handle and what your people can handle
seeing per host.

Our teams try to make checks that check multiple elements at once to
reduce the numbers of checks per host without loss of alarm
granularity - for example, our disk checks check all partitions on a
host and allow for rich thresholding - user can specify many
thresholds to check per service.  Same for critical processes - one
check to look for all critical processes and report any that have
failed.

- Max