Need to monitor Nagios Service Automatically

Asrai khn asraikhn at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 10:39:17 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Martin Melin <martinm at op5.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Sunny Soung <loesprite at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'm using Nagios to monitor some servers. All the things are good. But
>> these days I'm thinking about one question - What if Nagios went down??
>> If my Nagios went down, I would never get any notification. That would be
>> really bad.
>>

> I agree, that is a very bad thing :-)
>

>> *So is there a good solution to monitor the Nagios service??*
>>

> It depends on how much effort you want to spend and how critical Nagios is
> for your organization. If you just want to know if Nagios goes down, you can
> simply set up a second machine to monitor your Nagios host and notify you
> when it goes down or stops working. However this means that your other
> machines are unmonitored for the time it takes you to get your Nagios
> machine back online - and in case of hardware failure that could take a
> while.
>
> Most people for whom Nagios is a critical tool implement some sort of
> redundancy instead, where Nagios continues to monitor your network even if
> an individual Nagios host goes down. There is a good overview of your
> options in the documentation:
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/redundancy.html
>
> Also, the smartass answer to "is there a good solution to monitor the
> Nagios service" is http://nagiosplugins.org/man/check_nagios

In check_nagios example they have given nagios.log but I thinks it should be
'status.dat', for example in my case when nagios is installed from binary
package..

/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_nagios -e 5 -F /var/nagios/status.dat -C
/usr/bin/nagios
NAGIOS OK: 1 process, status log updated 9 seconds ago

I am interesting in implementing this check, any other example will be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks.