Need to monitor Nagios Service Automatically

Martin Melin martinm at op5.org
Wed Jan 27 11:03:21 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Asrai khn <asraikhn at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Martin Melin <martinm at op5.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Sunny Soung <loesprite at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I'm using Nagios to monitor some servers. All the things are good. But
>>> these days I'm thinking about one question - What if Nagios went down??
>>> If my Nagios went down, I would never get any notification. That would be
>>> really bad.
>>>

>> I agree, that is a very bad thing :-)
>>

>>> *So is there a good solution to monitor the Nagios service??*
>>>

>> It depends on how much effort you want to spend and how critical Nagios is
>> for your organization. If you just want to know if Nagios goes down, you can
>> simply set up a second machine to monitor your Nagios host and notify you
>> when it goes down or stops working. However this means that your other
>> machines are unmonitored for the time it takes you to get your Nagios
>> machine back online - and in case of hardware failure that could take a
>> while.
>>
>> Most people for whom Nagios is a critical tool implement some sort of
>> redundancy instead, where Nagios continues to monitor your network even if
>> an individual Nagios host goes down. There is a good overview of your
>> options in the documentation:
>> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/redundancy.html
>>
>> Also, the smartass answer to "is there a good solution to monitor the
>> Nagios service" is http://nagiosplugins.org/man/check_nagios
>>

> In check_nagios example they have given nagios.log but I thinks it should
> be 'status.dat', for example in my case when nagios is installed from binary
> package..
>
> /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_nagios -e 5 -F /var/nagios/status.dat -C
> /usr/bin/nagios
> NAGIOS OK: 1 process, status log updated 9 seconds ago
>
> I am interesting in implementing this check, any other example will be
> greatly appreciated.

check_nagios is not very complicated. Per the manpage, it wants to be
pointed to status.log, not nagios.log or status.dat. The reason for that is
simply that it checks that the last entry in the log is within N minutes of
the current time (set by -e 5 to 5 minutes). It also checks that a Nagios
process is present in ps. What kind of examples are you looking for?

>>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/theplanet-com
>>> ::: Please include Nagios version, plugin version (-v) and OS when
>>> reporting any issue.
>>> ::: Messages without supporting info will risk being sent to /dev/null
>>>

>> --
>> Martin Melin
>> op5 AB
>> http://www.op5.com