Need to monitor Nagios Service Automatically

Martin Melin martinm at op5.org
Wed Jan 27 08:54:22 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Sunny Soung <loesprite at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm using Nagios to monitor some servers. All the things are good. But
> these days I'm thinking about one question - What if Nagios went down??
> If my Nagios went down, I would never get any notification. That would be
> really bad.

I agree, that is a very bad thing :-)

> *So is there a good solution to monitor the Nagios service??*

It depends on how much effort you want to spend and how critical Nagios is
for your organization. If you just want to know if Nagios goes down, you can
simply set up a second machine to monitor your Nagios host and notify you
when it goes down or stops working. However this means that your other
machines are unmonitored for the time it takes you to get your Nagios
machine back online - and in case of hardware failure that could take a
while.

Most people for whom Nagios is a critical tool implement some sort of
redundancy instead, where Nagios continues to monitor your network even if
an individual Nagios host goes down. There is a good overview of your
options in the documentation:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/redundancy.html

Also, the smartass answer to "is there a good solution to monitor the Nagios
service" is http://nagiosplugins.org/man/check_nagios

> Advise will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Sunny,