Antwort: send_nsca 64 bit problem

Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com Sascha.Runschke at gfkl.com
Sat Jan 16 14:12:23 CET 2010

> nsca[10902]: Dropping packet with invalid CRC32 - possibly due to
> client using wrong password or crypto algorithm?
>
> Obviously, I?ve triple-checked the password and algorithm settings,
> so that?s not the problem.
>
> I?m suspecting that since the collector is running a 64 bit version
> of SLES (10.2) and the central server is 32 bit SLES (10.2), that
> somehow the CRC is being generated differently between the two.
>
> Another bit of evidence pointing to the suspected mismatch is that
> the collector in question can do send_nsca successfully to another
> 64 bit system.
>
> Anyone else run into this or can think of a workaround to try?

I am pretty sure there's no general problem with a 64 bit send_nsca
and a 32 bit nsca-daemon, as I am using this setup massively.
Most of our Oracle servers are RHEL5 64bit and our Nagios is a
RHEL5 32bit. So it must be either a misconfiguration on your side,
or a SLES specific problem. Even though you triple checked it, check
it again - and I'd suppose to just start the integration of that
particular server from scratch again. Maybe you made such an obvious
mistake that even looking 10 times over it would not reveal it to
you. Human beings tend to overlook obvious mistakes they made
themselves - our brain is tricking us there ;)

I'd say the top mistake of all the "I checked it ten times and the
config is correct!"-problems I heard of is: your send_nsca is using
another config then you think it does. Therefor you always check the
wrong config and the real config has a mistake. Just a hint.

Else I can't think of much else, as this setup is running here
without problems. Last question though: are you using a 32bit
precompiled send_nsca on the 64bit system or did you compile
it natively on that system for 64bit?

GFKL Financial Services AG
Vorstand: Jürgen Baltes, Dr. Tom Haverkamp
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Wilhelm Plumpe
Sitz: Limbecker Platz 1, 45127 Essen, Amtsgericht Essen, HRB 13522