How to define ATM circuit with PVCs

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Fri Jan 15 17:15:52 CET 2010

I am using Nagios to monitor an ATM circuit that has multiple PVCs, some
with a network behind them.

Initially, I set up our router as a host, the ATM interface as a service,
and the PVCs as services dependent on the ATM interface.

The problem with this is that there are hosts on the other end of those
PVCs, and there is no way to make those 'hosts' dependent on a service -- in
this case the ATM line itself.

What I ended up doing was making the ATM circuit it's own host, so that if
that circuit is down, I don't get notified of everything on the other end of
it that is down.

Is this "correct", or is there a better way to do it ?

http://www.westnet.com/