Checking IIS sites when there is a default "outage" page

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Wed Jan 6 19:31:54 CET 2010

Hey folks,

   So, I'm running into an interesting scenario here at work, while
setting up hosts for the web application guys.

   I have a number of IIS-hosted web sites that require NTLM
authentication, which complicates matters.  I found one plugin
(check_http_ntlm.pl) that can at least pass the NTLM authentication,
but it seems to know nothing of virtual hosts.  So, if ANY of the
sites are up, it happily answers OK to them all.  :(

   To further complicate matters, they have a default outage page
set up, so if a web site is stopped, the request will be passed
along to IIS' default page (ie, I never get an error, just a
redirect).

   So...  The stock check_http won't work (can't do NTLM), the
plugin I found won't work (knows nothing of individual sites),
and I have yet to get webinject working with NTLM (pointers/
examples graciously accepted).

   Any thoughts on how to monitor an IIS site requiring NTLM
authentication when a default page is configured for an "out of
service" page?

Thanks much!

Benny

--
"It's not all about getting up and putting four slices of kickass
in a two slice toaster."         -- ark86, on Fazed.net