DRBD for status.dat, nagios.cmd, objects.cache?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Jan 6 19:11:04 CET 2010

On Jan 6, 2010, at 11:47 AM, Marcel wrote:

> Anyone has any advice about this kind of HA strategy?
>
> I'm thinking about using drbd for nagios-HA environment, where nagios.cmd, status.dat and objects.cache would be in drbd partition and master/stand-by scripts for keeping nagios running at all times when master fails and stand-by took over.

Just some random thoughts --

I'd be very surprised if DRBD supported named pipes properly (nagios.cmd). I don't see how it can.
status.dat and objects.cache are only read by the CGI's. Nagios itself keeps everything it needs to know in memory during runtime. Neither of the files are read by the nagios daemon so are irrelevant for HA. You should be more interested in the retention files as nagios on the failover box can read those on start to get up to speed, so to speak.

People are using Nagios + Heartbeat/DRBD successfully; Google says so at least. This seems interesting for example. It doesn't speak about implementation but some gotchas that he experienced --

http://www.drachen-server.de/archives/25-IO-tuning-for-Nagios.html

--
Marc