Checking IIS sites when there is a default "outage" page

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Jan 6 19:57:16 CET 2010

On Jan 6, 2010, at 12:31 PM, C. Bensend wrote:

>   Any thoughts on how to monitor an IIS site requiring NTLM
> authentication when a default page is configured for an "out of
> service" page?

I'm not aware of anything out-of-the-box but I do know of one that's close (but haven't used it). I also know that curl supports NTLM so if that's used as the basis of a plugin, you're a good way there. This PHP based plugin appears to have the features of check_http you need, but without the NTLM auth --

http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Plugins/Websites%2C-Forms-and-Transactions/CURL-check-script/details

Since it's PHP and PHP Curl is pretty well documented, I think that it wouldn't be too difficult to add in the authentication bit (two lines in the curl_setopt() section I believe, if hard-coded). The two options I think you'd need are --

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.curl-setopt.php

CURLOPT_USERPWD 'username:password'
CURLOPT_HTTPAUTH 'CURLAUTH_NTLM'

It may be more complicated than that but it's where I'd start if I were doing it.

--
Marc