timeperiods / exclude daily timespan with "exception" / nagios 3.2.x ?

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Thu Dec 23 14:08:47 CET 2010

On 22 December 2010 08:42,  <uplink.team at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am trying to figure out the most elegant/readable way to specify a
> timeperiod (for notifications), which exclude a small timespan each day.
> In the 3.2 docs [1] there is mention of the "exclude" directive (which does
> not reliably work yet, as stated in the releaselog for 3.2.0 [1]) and a -
> more intriguing - "[exception]" directive.
> If I understand the former correctly, it's supposed to work like this (for
> creating a "blind-spot" of 5 minutes daily):
> define timeperiod{
>         timeperiod_name exceptions_for_specific_service
>         alias           Exception for specific service
>         day 1 - -1      06:35-06:40     # 06:35 - 06:40 daily
>         }
>
> define timeperiod{
>         timeperiod_name 24x7_exceptions_for_nlc_epichannel
>         alias           24/7, but excluding 06:35 - 06:40 daily
>         use             24x7
>         exclude         exceptions_for_specific_service
>         }
>

> However, I fail at using the other directive [exception]. How is this
> supposed to work? There seems to be no details or examples anywhere...
> Can any of you please share a working example? Or point to some
> documentation I missed?
> Thanks for any help!
> Gustav
>
> [1] http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#timeperiod
> [2] http://www.nagios.org/projects/nagioscore/history/core-3x "Known issue:
> Service checks that are defined with timeperiods that contain "exclude"
> directi ves are incorrectly re-scheduled. Don't use these for now - we'll
> get this fixed for 3.4"

If you are just using the timeperiod for notifications
(notification_period) and not for check scheduling (check_period),
then I would hope the exclude directive will work ok.  I confess I
haven't tested it myself - I'm just going by what it says in your note
[2].

The simple case I have here where I want to alert on all workdays
between midnight and midnight, excluding weekends and bank holidays
looks like this:

# U.K. holidays (actually just England and Wales) taken from
# http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/LivingintheUK/DG_073741
# Last updated 06/12/2010 by JRTA - will need updating again before
Christmas 2011
define timeperiod{
        name            uk-holidays
        january 3       00:00-24:00     ; New Years Day
        april 22        00:00-24:00     ; Good Friday
        april 25        00:00-24:00     ; Easter Monday
        april 29        00:00-24:00     ; Royal Wedding
        may 2           00:00-24:00     ; Early May Bank Holiday
        may 30          00:00-24:00     ; Spring Bank Holiday
        august 29       00:00-24:00     ; Summer Bank Holiday
        december 27     00:00-24:00     ; Christmas
        december 28     00:00-24:00     ; Boxing Day
        register        0               ; This is a template
        }

# That was just a template.  This is the actual timeperiod which we
will use in an exclude directive later.
define timeperiod{
  timeperiod_name       ukholidays
  alias                 UK Holidays
  use                   uk-holidays
}

# workdays - all days which are not weekend or bank holidays
# note this includes the whole day midnight-midnight not just working hours
define timeperiod{
  timeperiod_name workdays
  alias           Workdays - whole days which are not bank hol or weekend
  monday          00:00-24:00
  tuesday         00:00-24:00
  wednesday       00:00-24:00
  thursday        00:00-24:00