timeperiods / exclude daily timespan with "exception" / nagios 3.2.x ?

uplink.team at gmail.com uplink.team at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 09:42:20 CET 2010

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out the most elegant/readable way to specify a timeperiod (for notifications), which exclude a small timespan each day.

In the 3.2 docs [1] there is mention of the "exclude" directive (which does not reliably work yet, as stated in the releaselog for 3.2.0 [1]) and a - more intriguing - "[exception]" directive.

If I understand the former correctly, it's supposed to work like this (for creating a "blind-spot" of 5 minutes daily):

define timeperiod{
        timeperiod_name exceptions_for_specific_service
        alias           Exception for specific service
        day 1 - -1      06:35-06:40     # 06:35 - 06:40 daily
        }

define timeperiod{
        timeperiod_name 24x7_exceptions_for_nlc_epichannel
        alias           24/7, but excluding 06:35 - 06:40 daily
        use             24x7
        exclude         exceptions_for_specific_service
        }

However, I fail at using the other directive [exception]. How is this supposed to work? There seems to be no details or examples anywhere...

Can any of you please share a working example? Or point to some documentation I missed?

Thanks for any help!

Gustav

[1]	http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#timeperiod
[2]	http://www.nagios.org/projects/nagioscore/history/core-3x "Known issue: Service checks that are defined with timeperiods that contain "exclude" directi ves are incorrectly re-scheduled. Don't use these for now - we'll get this fixed for 3.4"