Nagios did not send notification to some contacts

Marc Powell lists at xodus.org
Wed Aug 4 14:34:31 CEST 2010

On Aug 3, 2010, at 11:21 AM, Frater, Greg J wrote:

> There was a routing issue on our WAN that caused this event, the SMTP server we use is across the WAN.  Could the routing issue have prevented some of the SMTP notifications from being sent, wouldn't they just queue up and go once the problem was resolved?

They would be queued by the SMTP server running on your nagios machine. Redelivery attempts would occur based on the configuration there.

>  I have seen messages that did not arrive at the recipients phone but I've never seen Nagios not generate notifications for contacts that are configured for that host or service.  Has anyone else seen this, any suggestions on a cause or how to troubleshoot?

- Check nagios.log for a HOST NOTIFICATION event for that group. Make sure there were no errors logged.
- Check your local SMTP server logs to see if the messages were received there and no errors were reported.
- Make sure that nagios has been restarted since adding this group and contacts.
- Make sure you don't have multiple nagios daemons running at the same time.

--
Marc