Nagios did not send notification to some contacts

Frater, Greg J GJFRATER at bechtel.com
Tue Aug 3 18:21:43 CEST 2010

Hi All,

I'm looking for troubleshooting suggestions to a problem we had.  During
a recent host down event Nagios sent notifications to 8 of the 18
configured contacts.  The contacts are configured in two contact groups,
of the 8 contacts that were sent notifications all were from the same
contact group but there are another 4 contacts in that group that did
not get notifications sent.  No contacts from the second group had
notifications generated.  There was a routing issue on our WAN that
caused this event, the SMTP server we use is across the WAN.  Could the
routing issue have prevented some of the SMTP notifications from being
sent, wouldn't they just queue up and go once the problem was resolved?
I have seen messages that did not arrive at the recipients phone but
I've never seen Nagios not generate notifications for contacts that are
configured for that host or service.  Has anyone else seen this, any
suggestions on a cause or how to troubleshoot?

Nagios 3.2.0 on RHEL 5.5

Thanks,

-greg