How to make 1 exception for 1 host when mapping services to hostgroups?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Wed Sep 9 18:16:32 CEST 2009

On 09/08/2009 08:42 PM, Janet Sullivan wrote:

> can
> you
>>> Hi Max.  That's indeed an interesting approach.
>>> Although I will initially go with the proposal of Thomas
>>> Thanks for the tip, very inspiring.
>> I've used Max's approach as well.  Works nicely!
>
> How will using custom macros for services like this affect performance
> and memory usage once it's used 10,000+ times?  Does it scale well?

Not sure I see the issue ...

In my case, I define an "additional detail text" macro on our service
checks.  It's often hard to determine from the output of a service check
exactly what the problem is, since the output is often very specific to
the functionality of the service check.  Including a plain English
"additional detail" message on the alert emails helps make clear exactly
what has failed and why.

So the way I have it working is that by default "additional detail" is
set to blank.  But specific services can override this with a small
string of text.  I probably do this on 30-40% of the (~160) services I
have defined.

So that brings me back to .... I'm not sure I see what the performance
issue is here.  Even if I had 16,000 services defined, we're not talking
about that much extra memory required to hold this text.

Can you clarify what you see as the issue?  Because if I'm doing
something that could potentially cause problems, I'd like to understand
that.

Thanks,

DR