Scheduled downtime behaviour

Paul Vaes paul.vaes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 16:21:00 CEST 2009

Hello all,

I see following strange behaviour and I don't know what should be the
correct behaviour.

Example :

- host X is set in scheduled downtime for 2 hours for maintenance.
- during this 2 hours host X is rebooted and the administrators made some
mistakes and the route to nagios server is deleted and the nagios server, so
the nagios server is not able to ping host X anymore
- So host X is down in HARD status, but in SCHEDULED DOWNTIME so
notification is not done and my eventhandlers skip actions because of the
schedudled down.
- After 2 hours, the scheduled down period has passed, but host X is still
not reachable due to network config errors.
- At this moment I do not see a STATE change in Nagios for host X which
would trigger my notifications and eventhandlers to create the neccesary
actions ( Creating Tickets/Pages/Mails )

Although, the strange thing is that sometimes the state change seems to be
generated and the accompaning notifications and eventhandlers are executed
correctly.

Can somebody comment on this and what you think should be normal behaviour?

I am running nagios 3.0.5.

PS: I am thinking of fixing the problem by moniroting the nagios.log file
for :
*Service has exited from a period of scheduled downtime
Host has exited from a periosn of scheduled downtime
*
And take the necessary actions ( Setting all Services and Hosts to OK for
example ) to make sure that state changes occur if a host or service went
down during Scheduled Downtime. But I am reluctant to do this as I had hoped
this would be a feature of Nagios doing this for me.

Any other comments or remarks on this are welcome,

Thanks in advance,

--
Groetjes,

Paul