Stuck... Object Tricks turning into Object Failures...

John Cavanaugh cavanaughwww at hp.com
Fri Sep 4 19:11:00 CEST 2009

I have been really trying to exploit the benefits of inheritance etc with my
config files.   I have created several templates that I use to sort of build
up a host config.    Things have been working fine as part of my testing
with everything going to nagiosadmin, but as I started to segment things for
different subgroups of admins things have fallen apart.

Here is a snippet from my configs for reference.

define host{
        name                    windows-server  ; The name of this host
template
        use                     generic-host,host-pnp   ; Inherit default
values from the generic-host template
        check_period            24x7            ; By default, hudson servers
are monitored round the clock
        check_interval          10              ; Actively check the server
every x minutes
        retry_interval          1               ; Schedule host check
retries at x minute intervals
        max_check_attempts      10              ; Check each server x times
(max)
        check_command           check-host-alive        ; Default command to
check if servers are "alive"
        notification_period     24x7            ; Send notification out at
any time - day or night
        notification_interval   60              ; Resend notifications every
x minutes
        notification_options    d,r             ; Only send notifications
for specific host states
        contact_groups          +admins          ; Notifications get sent to
the admins by default
        hostgroups              +windows-servers ; Host groups that Windows
servers should be a member of
        register                0               ; DONT REGISTER THIS - ITS
JUST A TEMPLATE
        }

define host{
        name                    hudson-server   ; The name of this host
template
        use                     windows-server  ; Inherit default values
from the generic-host template
        contact_groups          +hudsonadmins   ; Notifications get sent to
the admins by default
        hostgroups              +hudson-servers ; Host groups that Windows
servers should be a member of
        register                0               ; DONT REGISTER THIS - ITS
JUST A TEMPLATE
        }

define service{
        use                     remote-service
        hostgroup_name          windows-servers
        service_description     NSClient++ Version
        normal_check_interval   60
        notification_interval   0
        check_command           check_nrpe_1arg!CheckVersion
        }

define service{
        use                     remote-service
        hostgroup_name          hudson-servers
        contact_groups          hudsonadmins
        service_description     Hudson Server
        check_command           check_nrpe!checkServiceState!ShowAll hudson
        }

define host{
        use             hudson-server,esx-datacenter1-vm       ; Inherit
default values from a template
        host_name       sandbox ; The name we're giving to this host
        alias           sandbox ; A longer name associated with the host
        _ESXVMNAME      hudsonyyy ;
        address         xxxxx ; IP address of the host
        }

All in all this works pretty effectively.  In the above example bld-sandbox
belongs to multiple host groups, it's in windows-servers, hudson-servers and
host group for a specific vmware datacenter.  I can list generic
windows-servers services that get inherited by all windows machines.   But I
can also add additional services as needed like monitoring Hudson.

The problem arises in that I want *all* of the service alerts for a
hudson-server host to go to the hudsonadmins.   I cant figure out how to
make the services defined by windows-servers to send email to the
hudsonadmins.   I know I could just cut & paste all the services in
windows-servers and add the specifc contact_groups, but that just seems
broken.

Im sure Im missing something here, any ideas on how to put the pieces back
together for this?

--
John Cavanaugh