Nagios3 distributed monitoring question

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Oct 30 21:43:50 CET 2009

On Oct 30, 2009, at 12:51 PM, Jonathan Bayles wrote:

> I have included the service definition. Thanks for your time. I
> think what I need is an example of how I could setup a ping check on
> the remote(of a host the master cannot see due to network) and see
> the results on the master. I am fairly sure that I could extrapolate
> from one working example of this setup.
>
> I imagine that as you said, on the master I need to have some kind
> of definition for the host and the service, but in what way would
> those differ in order to point them to the data that's being fed via
> NSCA rather than an active check(that wont work, because the master
> cannot see the host being checked)?

It's not as simple as providing you with a sample definition. There's
more to it than that but for your host/service definitions, you just
need to add on the central --
	active_checks_enabled 0
	passive_checks_enabled 1

and on the remote --
	active_checks_enabled 1
	passive_checks_enabled 0

There are other things you need to enable/change in nagios.cfg (and
other files), etc to make this all work though. The documentation I've
repeatedly pointed you to goes into the detail you're asking about.

--

Marc