Nagios3 distributed monitoring question

Jonathan Bayles jbayles at readytechs.com
Fri Oct 30 18:51:58 CET 2009

I have included the service definition. Thanks for your time. I think what I need is an example of how I could setup a ping check on the remote(of a host the master cannot see due to network) and see the results on the master. I am fairly sure that I could extrapolate from one working example of this setup.

I imagine that as you said, on the master I need to have some kind of definition for the host and the service, but in what way would those differ in order to point them to the data that's being fed via NSCA rather than an active check(that wont work, because the master cannot see the host being checked)?

define service{
        name                            remote-service         ; The 'name' of t                                                                         his service template
        active_checks_enabled           0                       ; Active service                                                                          checks are enabled
        passive_checks_enabled          1                       ; Passive servic                                                                         e checks are enabled/accepted
        parallelize_check               1                       ; Active service                                                                          checks should be parallelized (disabling this can lead to major performance pro                                                                         blems)
        obsess_over_service             1                       ; We should obse                                                                         ss over this service (if necessary)
        check_freshness                 1                       ; Default is to                                                                          NOT check service 'freshness'
        notifications_enabled           1                       ; Service notifi                                                                         cations are enabled
        event_handler_enabled           1                       ; Service event                                                                          handler is enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1                       ; Flap detection                                                                          is enabled
        failure_prediction_enabled      1                       ; Failure predic                                                                         tion is enabled
        process_perf_data               1                       ; Process perfor                                                                         mance data
        retain_status_information       1                       ; Retain status                                                                          information across program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1                       ; Retain non-sta                                                                         tus information across program restarts
        is_volatile                     0                       ; The service is                                                                          not volatile
        check_period                    24x7                    ; The service ca                                                                         n be checked at any time of the day
        max_check_attempts              3                       ; Re-check the s                                                                         ervice up to 3 times in order to determine its final (hard) state
        normal_check_interval           10                      ; Check the serv                                                                         ice every 10 minutes under normal conditions
        retry_check_interval            2                       ; Re-check the s                                                                         ervice every two minutes until a hard state can be determined
        contact_groups                  admins                  ; Notifications                                                                          get sent out to everyone in the 'admins' group
        notification_options            w,u,c,r                 ; Send notificat                                                                         ions about warning, unknown, critical, and recovery events
        notification_interval           60                      ; Re-notify abou                                                                         t service problems every hour
        notification_period             24x7                    ; Notifications                                                                          can be sent out at any time
        register                        0                      ; DONT REGISTER T                                                                         HIS DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL SERVICE, JUST A TEMPLATE!
        }