/etc/xinetd.d/nrpe "only_from"-param for check_nrpe based on hostname

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Oct 30 17:03:56 CET 2009

On Oct 30, 2009, at 9:12 AM, jonas kellens wrote:

> Hello there !
>
> I'm new to the list and rather new to Nagios also... I have the
> following question :
>
> I have the NRPE-plugin for Nagios running as part of the Xinetd-
> service on a remote server, this is its config :
>
> bash-3.2# cat /etc/xinetd.d/nrpe
> # default: on
> service nrpe
> {
> flags = REUSE
> socket_type = stream
> port = 5666
> wait = no
> user = nagios
> group = nagios
> server = /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe
> server_args = -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg --inetd
> log_on_failure += USERID
> disable = no
> only_from = 127.0.0.1 host.no-ip.biz
> }

> Question : How can I enable the lookup of a dynamic IP-address via
> the DynDNS-domainname ?? How can I put my "host.no-ip.biz" into the
> NRPE-service ??

I don't use NRPE under xinetd but on the face of it, this is a problem
with your reverse DNS and the way that xinetd is doing the
verification. When your nagios machine connects to NRPE, xinetd will
take the IP address it sees as the source and look up the reverse DNS
entry for it. If that name is not 'host.no-ip.biz', then it's going to
refuse the connection. xinetd does _not_ ask what the current IP of host.no-ip.biz
  is on every connection. It depends entirely on the reverse DNS PTR
name. When your IP changes, do you automatically update the reverse
DNS for that new IP to point to that name? I'm guessing you do not.

This is a very unusual situation. Most sane admins would never use
DHCP or a dynamic address for a server. Your options are going to be
very limited, mostly being to compromise on your security and allow
more than just the single host.

man xinetd.conf --

       only_from        determines the remote hosts to  which  the
particular
                         service  is  available.   Its  value  is  a
list of IP
                         addresses which can be specified in any
combination of
                         the following ways:

[snip]

                         d)   a host  name.   When  a  connection  is
made  to
                              xinetd,  a  reverse  lookup is
performed, and the
                              canonical name returned is compared to
the speci-
                              fied host name.  You may also use domain
names in
                              the form of .domain.com.  If the
reverse  lookup
                              of the client’s IP is