5 Nagios General Questions

Goutos, Kevin kgoutos at libertymgt.com
Thu Oct 22 21:29:21 CEST 2009

Hi all,

I have a few general Nagios questions for you all, I appreciate any
feedback you can provide.

1) I don't think I'm restarting Nagios correctly whenever I make a
change in a one of the configuration files.  I'm using
/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -d /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg as well
as /etc/rc.d/init.d/nagios reload, restart, stop, start ,etc.  It does
say it restarts Nagios, however it doesn't seem to be using the 'new'
scripts when I've made changes in them.  For example I just changed the
E-mail address and did those commands above, and it's still sending
Email to my old address.  Does this have something to do with me
commenting out the pre caching options maybe?

2) For my notifications, I'm not seeing anything in the body of the
message.  All I see is the Message name "** PROBLEM Host Alert: CORP-NSS
is DOWN **".  I'm pretty sure there should be more information in the
body.. any ideas?

3) I've seen a couple plugins on a few sites I might want to check out,
how do I go about installing them?  I didn't find any documentation for
installing them..

4) I'm looking for more ways to monitor our Routers and Switches here.
Currently all I have is service checks of 'Ping Test' and 'System
Uptime'.  I also saw on the quickstart guide the following service
check, but I'm seeing errors.  The IP address there looks wrong, and
it's saying it can't find a log.

define service{
	use			generic-service
	hostgroup_name	switches
	service_description	Check Local Traffic
	check_command
check_local_mrtgtraf!/var/lib/mrtg/192.168.1.253_1.log!AVG!1000000,20000
00!5000000,5000000!10
}

5) What other service checks do people use to monitor their switches and
routers?  We have SNMP enabled on them and want to collect more
information through Nagios.

Thanks for the help!!