5 Nagios General Questions

Justin Williams rjustinwilliams at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 22:24:06 CEST 2009

1- are you sure the config file you're editing and the config file you're
below; not sure where the /usr/local comes from, but,that may be
distro-relative...
2- take a look at your commands.cfg file.  That's where email message
formatting is, among other things, and might give you a bit more info on
what is supposed to be sent.  You might also check the messages log on your
nagios server to see what you can see in there.
3- download plug-in, move to nagios' plug-ins folder (called libexec on my
box - specifically, /usr/nagios/libexec).  Make sure nagios has permissions
to execute said plugin.  Define the command to use it in the commands.cfg
file as above, and use it in whatever config you use to define your
services.
4- Do you have mrtg installed?  For switches/routers, I'm OK with knowing
they're pingable.  If they're pingable, and the box on the other side isn't,
my suspicion then turns to my box being down.  If it is still up, I'd
consider routing issues...
5- snmp can be used for that - just make sure that you're using a read-only
community to communicate with your routers...  Otherwise, you're
broadcasting information that can be used to change the snmp settings on
your devices, and can really get into deep ca-ca going through THAT bit of
fun!!  You just need to know what information you want to pull from your
devices, and translate that to whatever mip your device is throwing out
there - snmpwalk is very helpful for that...