Nagios Notifications not being Sent Out

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Oct 20 17:27:04 CEST 2009

On Oct 16, 2009, at 9:31 AM, Goutos, Kevin wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Marc.
>
> I do have some good news.  I did receive a notification last night
> for a
> flapping alert.  However, it still is not sending out alerts from
> being
> down, returning to up state, etc...
>
> [1255678430] SERVICE FLAPPING ALERT: AUSTIN-LAPTOP;CPU Load;STOPPED;
> Service appears to have stopped flapping (4.0% change < 5.0%
> threshold)
> [1255678430] SERVICE NOTIFICATION: libertyadmins;AUSTIN-LAPTOP;CPU
> Load;FLAPPINGSTOP (CRITICAL);notify-service-by-email;No route to host
>
> If I look at this portion of the log....It seems there should be
> notifications sent out, but none were..
>
> [1255547104] HOST ALERT: CORP-NSS;DOWN;SOFT;1;CRITICAL - Host
> Unreachable (IP ADDRESS)
> [1255547104] SERVICE ALERT: CORP-NSS;CPU Load;CRITICAL;HARD;1;No route
> to host

Host returned non-OK. Service notifications would have been
suppressed. It is expected that you would not receive a notification
for any services on this host but possibly a host notification.

> [1255547734] HOST ALERT: CORP-NSS;DOWN;HARD;10;CRITICAL - Host
> Unreachable (IP ADDRESS)

About 10 minutes later the host reaches a HARD critical state and a
notification check is done. No notification was sent so a
configuration issue exists.

> [1255556204] HOST ALERT: CORP-NSS;UP;HARD;1;PING OK - Packet loss =
> 0%,
> RTA = 10.40 ms

Host recovers and a notification check is done. No notification should
be sent.

> Here is something I don't understand...what I pasted below is from
> objects.cache.  Why does that show service and host notifications
> set as
> only f,s? Below that I'll show what I have for contacts.cfg
>
> Objects.cache
>
> define contact {
> 	contact_name	libertyadmins
> 	alias	Liberty Admins
> 	service_notification_period	24x7
> 	host_notification_period	24x7
> 	service_notification_options	f,s
> 	host_notification_options	f,s

> [chop]
> 	}
>

> Contacts.cfg
>
> define contact{
>      contact_name                    	libertyadmins
> [choppage]
> 	service_notification_options		d,u,r,f,s

'd' is not valid for service_notification_options, only hosts. Only
w,u,c,r,f,s are valid here (and 'n' to disable notifications).

The overall mismatch between this and objects.cache is interesting and
tells me that nagios is not running with the configuration you're
providing here. This would also be the reason you're not receiving the
notifications you expect. Are you sure it's been restarted and is
actually restarting.  Does the timestamp on objects.cache correlate to
the last restart/reload of nagios? I'd stop nagios, make sure it's not
still running and restart it. re-verify the settings in objects.cache.
If they're still different, make sure the file you're changing (and
including in these e-mails) is actually loaded via a cfg_file or
cfg_dir directive in nagios.cfg.

--
Marc