Nagios reporting no output when there is output

Jean-Michel Philippon-Nadeau jmphilip at ccs.usherbrooke.ca
Fri May 15 21:29:11 CEST 2009

Thanks for your reply Tom.
I really appreciate that you take a few minutes of your time to help me
on this one.

Tom Wlodek wrote:
> You may also check whether you run it by hand as the right user. Common
> mistake is to execute plugins or scripts as one user 9say, root) and
> then nagios executes them as another one (say "nagios"). It works for
> user root but not for user nagios.

The Nagios server does not actively check the disk status of every
monitored server. Each server has a script in it's crontab that checks
the disks and sends the status via NCSA to the main Nagios server.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not think the user running the script
on the monitored host can interfere with how the Nagios server will
parse the answer. Am I right?

> If I understand correctly nagios sends notifications  regardless whether
> the service is OK or not. Check the "notification criteria" field in
> service configuration file. maybe you've simply told nagios to send msg
> always.
> (But I admit I do not fully understand your problem description here).

Every 30 minutes, the monitored server sends it's disk status (passive
check) to the central Nagios server. When the output sent or when there
is no output sent (after an hour or two), Nagios will emit a notice.
However, in my case, I get a failure notice and a recovery notice every
hour, as if Nagios would not interpret the output he receives and the
alert me that it's OK after having parsed it.

The server monitored is an idle server with 85% disk free and it is
always reporting correct disk usage (confirmed by the logs I sent
earlier) but still, Nagios tells me there is no output and then tells me
it's OK. There are a few minutes between the time Nagios receives the
disk status and the time Nagios sends me the warning.

I hope this is clearer,

Thanks,

--
Jean-Michel Philippon-Nadeau