Nagios reporting no output when there is output

Tom Wlodek tomw at bnl.gov
Fri May 15 21:39:31 CEST 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 15:29 -0400, Jean-Michel Philippon-Nadeau wrote:
> Thanks for your reply Tom.
> I really appreciate that you take a few minutes of your time to help me
> on this one.
>
> Tom Wlodek wrote:
> > You may also check whether you run it by hand as the right user. Common
> > mistake is to execute plugins or scripts as one user 9say, root) and
> > then nagios executes them as another one (say "nagios"). It works for
> > user root but not for user nagios.
>
> The Nagios server does not actively check the disk status of every
> monitored server. Each server has a script in it's crontab that checks
> the disks and sends the status via NCSA to the main Nagios server.

Ouch, now you've got me. I know nothing about NCSA. I am afraid I am of
no help here.

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not think the user running the script
> on the monitored host can interfere with how the Nagios server will
> parse the answer. Am I right?

I am not sure if I understand your question - and as I said, if you use
NCSA then my expertise ends here anyway.

> > If I understand correctly nagios sends notifications  regardless whether
> > the service is OK or not. Check the "notification criteria" field in
> > service configuration file. maybe you've simply told nagios to send msg
> > always.
> > (But I admit I do not fully understand your problem description here).
>
> Every 30 minutes, the monitored server sends it's disk status (passive
> check) to the central Nagios server. When the output sent or when there
> is no output sent (after an hour or two), Nagios will emit a notice.
> However, in my case, I get a failure notice and a recovery notice every
> hour, as if Nagios would not interpret the output he receives and the
> alert me that it's OK after having parsed it.
>
> The server monitored is an idle server with 85% disk free and it is
> always reporting correct disk usage (confirmed by the logs I sent
> earlier) but still, Nagios tells me there is no output and then tells me
> it's OK. There are a few minutes between the time Nagios receives the
> disk status and the time Nagios sends me the warning.

As I said, if you use NCSA then I have no clue. I did very little
passive monitoring and all what I did was with cgi scrips, not NCSA.

My naive advice would be to feed "by hand" simulated response to nagios.
(When you run cgi you simply fill a form and submit result). Then you
see thether the problem is with script of with nagios. But I have no
idea how to do it in NCSA.

Tom