Nagios reporting no output when there is output

Tom Wlodek tomw at bnl.gov
Fri May 15 21:11:53 CEST 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-15 at 15:06 -0400, Jean-Michel Philippon-Nadeau wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>

> I have already checked that my command works. The script reporting disk
> usage and sending it to Nagios already runs fine on the other 30+
> machines and running the script manually works just fine too.

You may also check whether you run it by hand as the right user. Common
mistake is to execute plugins or scripts as one user 9say, root) and
then nagios executes them as another one (say "nagios"). It works for
user root but not for user nagios.

> What I forgot to mention in my previous e-mail (sorry about that) is
> that Nagios says the service just recovered a few minutes later. From
> what I understood in the logs, the machine reports it's disk space
> usage, Nagios emits a warning even if the script sent the appropriate
> usage and a few minutes later when the script is re-run (I've shortened
> it's cron launch time) Nagios notices that everything is OK and sends
> back notices by e-mail.

If I understand correctly nagios sends notifications  regardless whether
the service is OK or not. Check the "notification criteria" field in
service configuration file. maybe you've simply told nagios to send msg
always.

(But I admit I do not fully understand your problem description here).

Tom