Deleted init.d script

Harry Rickards hrickards at l33tmyst.com
Sun Mar 29 00:05:38 CET 2009

Quoting Natxo Asenjo <natxo.asenjo at gmail.com>:

> If you have the sources of your insallation you could copy the file
> daemon-init (at least, this is what I understand from the Makefile of
> the originial sources at my installation):
>
> install-init: install-daemoninit
>
> install-daemoninit:
>         $(INSTALL) -m 755 -d $(INIT_OPTS) $(DESTDIR)$(INIT_DIR)
>         $(INSTALL) -m 755 $(INIT_OPTS) daemon-init
> $(DESTDIR)$(INIT_DIR)/nagios
>
>         @echo ""
>         @echo "*** Init script installed ***"
>         @echo ""
>
> If you have installed a debian package, you could download the source
> (deb-src) or the original debk file of nagios. The init script should
> also be in there.
>
> --
> Groeten,
> J.Asenjo
>

> On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 12:45 PM, Harry Rickards
> <hrickards at l33tmyst.com> wrote:
>>
>> On my Debian Lenny Virtual Private Server with Nagios 3.06 installed,
>> I seem to have accidentally deleted both the init script (in
>> /etc/init.d) and the RC script (in /etc/RCS.d). I'm now forced to
>> manually start and stop nagios, by running
>>
>> '/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -d /usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg'
>>
>> to start nagios, and killing it's process to stop it. Is there a way
>> to regenerate the init script without reinstalling nagios, or could
>> some-one upload theirs?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Harry Rickards
>>
>> --
>>
>> O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail - www.asciiribbon.org

>> reporting any issue.

> reporting any issue.

Thanks, I copied the daemon-init script to /etc/init.d/nagios, and t
works great. Am I right in thinking that to make Nagios start at
system bootup, I have to create a link to /etc/init.d/nagios in
/etc/rcS.d, and then enable nagios for my default runlevel with
sysv-rc-conf, or just linking in the appropriate directory?

Many thanks
Harry Rickards