nagvis requires ndoutils; how stable is ndoutils?

Thu Jun 25 08:28:26 CEST 2009

Rahul Nabar wrote:

>     I think that is a bit overreacting. ndoutils is a database client.
>

> Thanks Kevin. Point taken.
>

>     Databases need management and tuning to get you good performance -
>     that's just routine, regardless of the brand you are using: mysql, SQL
>     Server, Oracle, Postgres, ....
>

> But the way nagios natively stores data seems to be pretty robust
> though. Nagios has scaled excellently right out of the box. From all
> these discussions it seems that the problems arise when I try to hook
> up ndoutils etc. in there. Maybe I am wrong!
No, you are entirely right. For that matter, ndoutils does absolutely
NOTHING for Nagios itself. Nagios continues to store the data in its
native format. Nagios itself doesn't need a database, doesn't benefit
from it, and probably actually will take a (slight) performance hit from
calling ndoutils and writing to the DB.

All it does is replicate the data into a database - you can think of it
as an export utility to MySQL. What it comes down to: if you need the
data available in a database for some tool like nagviz, you use
ndoutils. If you don't - then don't use ndoutils. Simple as that.

Also, keep in mind that Nagios' native data storage is designed for just
Nagios own internal use. If other tools started accessing it directly,
it would very quickly stop being robust.
> >No amount of work or "polishing" will change that. There's a reason
> DBAs are highly valued professionals.
>
> I feel that's the crux though. If each native nagios install neeed a
> skilled DBA to tune it till it worked I doubt it'd have been so
> successful.
Fortunately, it's not quite that bad. For smaller installations - the
vast majority - the necessary tuning is something you can do yourself
with a little bit of research. I'm not a DBA, just a universalist who
dabbles in everything from C++ to SQL to Active Directory to Linux
administration.

Only if your installation is truly humongous would you need a DBA to
really wring out the last little ounce of performance.

That said, there are also good reasons why everybody is using databases
for all kinds of things today. Heck, my Web site stores the content in a
database! Databases do add a lot of power and flexibility, provide
access for multiple clients, a very simple interface, they can easily be
made available across a network are easy to back up and very robust.
These things are the reasons very few tools access the proprietary
Nagios data directly but most require ndoutils. And if somebody was to
rewrite Nagios from scratch today, they would probably store the data in
a database to begin with.

I'd also like to point out that Nagios itself needs just as much tuning
as a database does. As does the Linux server you are running it on.

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.