nagvis requires ndoutils; how stable is ndoutils?

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Thu Jun 25 09:27:37 CEST 2009

Hi there,

you can use Nagvis not depending on installing NDOUtils - try NDO2fs
which is a new module and fully compatible to current NagVis version. It
gets the data from Nagios via NDO Event Broker and writes it to a
filebased structure from where NagVis will select the data from.

http://www.vertical-visions.de/2009/01/13/introducing-ndo2fs/
http://www.vertical-visions.de/projects/nagvis-project/
http://www.nagvis.org/

"We added two backends to the main NagVis code. You can now connect
NagVis to ndo2fs <http://www.pnp4nagios.org/ndo2fs/start>. Ndo2fs is a
lightweight alternative to the default MySQL based NDO."

Kind regards,
Michael

Rahul Nabar wrote the following on 25.06.2009 01:24:

>     I just installed ndoutils with mysql. There indeed was one
>     pitfall: the
>     database is growing quite large very quickly. Eventually, the DB got
>     sluggish and couldn't keep up with the data Nagios threw at it (the DB
>     server is quite underpowered). It got so bad that after a week or so,
>     Nagios wouldn't even start up.
>
>     It turned out that it wasn't primarily the database itself, but binary
>     logging. It is turned on by default (at least on CentOS) but you only
>     need it for replication. If you are not using replication, simply turn
>     off binary logging and you should be good to go. At least, I hope
>     so; I
>     only made that change yesterday, so I won't know for another week
>     or so.
>

> Thanks for all those helpful comments guys! You might have saved me
> from a few disasters here. I think I am staying away from Nagvis (and
> ndoutils ) for now.
>
> Nagviz seems to me one of those tools that simply look great but the
> back-end still needs quite some work before I'd be brave enough to
> unleash it in a production environment!
>
> --
> Rahul

DI (FH) Michael Friedrich