"Last check" info seems stale (Nagios 2.9)

Kustner, Tom Tom.Kustner at RetirementPartner.com
Fri Jun 19 23:33:46 CEST 2009

I am a Nagios user, not the administrator.  We are running Nagios 2.9 on RHEL 4 or 5.  Overall, 200+ hosts with 3000 services being monitored, but I have access for monitoring a smaller number of hosts.

In looking last week into an issue where a host had gone down but no alert was sent, I noticed that on the "Host Status Details For All Host Groups" screen, where it lists Hosts, Status, Last Check, etc., the Last Check date for some of the hosts went back almost two months.   I pointed this out to the administrator who didn't disagree with my statement but said the logs showed otherwise.  Nagios was restarted but even now, there is a host where the Last Check date still shows as 05-19-2009.  There are other hosts showing a last check date of June 5, June 9, June 10, and so on.  These hosts are definitely up.

Either Nagios is being tardy at checking things, is *not* being tardy but is displaying inaccurate information, or I am misunderstanding this field or what Nagios means by "Last check".  Can anyone shed some light?

Tom Kustner MCSE, CNE

The information contained in this message and any accompanying attachments may contain privileged, private and/or confidential information protected by state and federal law.  Penalties may be assessed for unauthorized use and/or disclosure.  This message and any attachments are intended for the designated recipient only.  If you have received this information in error, please notify the sender immediately and return or destroy the information.

This e-mail transmission and any attachments are believed to have been sent free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into which it is received and opened. It is, however, the recipient's responsibility to ensure that the e-mail transmission and any attachments are virus free, and the sender accepts no responsibility for any damage that may in any way arise from their use.