"Last check" info seems stale (Nagios 2.9)

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Sat Jun 20 04:05:46 CEST 2009

On Jun 19, 2009, at 4:33 PM, Kustner, Tom wrote:

> I am a Nagios user, not the administrator.  We are running Nagios
> 2.9 on RHEL 4 or 5.  Overall, 200+ hosts with 3000 services being
> monitored, but I have access for monitoring a smaller number of hosts.
>
> In looking last week into an issue where a host had gone down but no
> alert was sent, I noticed that on the "Host Status Details For All
> Host Groups" screen, where it lists Hosts, Status, Last Check, etc.,
> the Last Check date for some of the hosts went back almost two
> months.   I pointed this out to the administrator who didn't
> disagree with my statement but said the logs showed otherwise.
> Nagios was restarted but even now, there is a host where the Last
> Check date still shows as 05-19-2009.  There are other hosts showing
> a last check date of June 5, June 9, June 10, and so on.  These
> hosts are definitely up.
>
> Either Nagios is being tardy at checking things, is *not* being
> tardy but is displaying inaccurate information, or I am
> misunderstanding this field or what Nagios means by "Last check".
> Can anyone shed some light?

This is normal. Hosts aren't checked unless a service on the host
returns a non-OK result. If all services are up, the host must be up
so there is no reason to check it. If a service returns a non-OK
result, only then do you need to know if the host is down or not and a
host check is run. As for the host being down and no notification
being sent, you should verify that it has services defined for it,
they return non-OK results when the host is down and that the host
check returns a non-OK result when the host is down.

Of course, your admin is the best person to check these things.

--
Marc