Need guidance on specific approach

Sun Jul 12 02:27:06 CEST 2009

Maybe I can help get you 50% there. I have basically the same problem,
but on a Linux system. In my case, I needed to monitor if a once-a-day
backup script has run and has completed successfully. I documented that
approach in the bacula wiki at http://wiki.bacula.org/doku.php?id=nagios

The idea is to create a passive check for each of your scripts. When the
script completes successfully, use send_nsca to send the result to the
Nagios server. Optionally, I am also sending a check result when the
script starts, and if it completes with an error.

The part I can't help you with is how to actually do a send_nsca from
Windows. I think send_nsca exists for Windows as well, but if not, you
might have to cobble something together using NSClient++.

If I understand you right, you also have the problem that you have too
many scripts and don't want to modify each one for monitoring? If that's
the case, simply write a wrapper script that calls the actual script
based on a command-line argument. Then change all your scheduler entries
to call that wrapper instead of the actual script. That wrapper script
could accept additional arguments so you can also specify the text in
the check result to be used.

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> I have a few scripts that run on Windows machines, they are scheduled to run
> at specific times. I am hoping to have that script trigger a passive check in
> Nagios which then begins periodic monitoring.
>
> I am hoping that if the script finishes (reaches the end) it will trigger the
> end of monitoring for Nagios, otherwise with the periodic check I want Nagios
> to do, if it sees the script has ended w/o closing the monitoring I need an alert.
>
> Reason I don't want to continue doing this in the scripts is I have plenty scattered
> all about already and monitoring them and Nagios is a pain when I could only Monitor
> just Nagios.
>
> Any ideas where to start with this?
>
> Thanks for any suggestions!
> jlc

Kevin Keane
Owner
The NetTech
Find the Uncommon: Expert Solutions for a Network You Never Have to Think About

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.