Need guidance on specific approach

Joseph L. Casale JCasale at activenetwerx.com
Sun Jul 12 21:02:04 CEST 2009

>The idea is to create a passive check for each of your scripts. When the
>script completes successfully, use send_nsca to send the result to the
>Nagios server. Optionally, I am also sending a check result when the
>script starts, and if it completes with an error.

Actually this would be accomplish all that I need!

I found a native win32 nsca client at www.monitoringexchange.org as well.

>If I understand you right, you also have the problem that you have too
>many scripts and don't want to modify each one for monitoring? If that's
>the case, simply write a wrapper script that calls the actual script
>based on a command-line argument. Then change all your scheduler entries
>to call that wrapper instead of the actual script. That wrapper script
>could accept additional arguments so you can also specify the text in
>the check result to be used.

I don't mind modifying the scripts, I just meant I had to many so as to monitor
all of them and Nagios was a pain when I might see it all in Nagios. I assume as
not all of my scripts run every day, I can use Time Periods to restrict the checking
but how does that work with the check_dummy and freshness_threshold? My scripts
are much shorter and I need to know the day after if they didn't run so the
freshness_threshold will be much lower than the weekend span? How do I stop an
erroneous critical event every weekend for example?

Thanks for the ideas!
jlc