Strange problem with plugins timing out

Sean Carolan scarolan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 15:59:18 CET 2009

> Here's how my check_by_ping plugin is configured:
>
> command_line    $USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w 3000.0,80% -c
> 5000.0,100% -p 5 -t 60
>
> Can anyone help me?  Why is it still timing out after ten seconds,
> even when I have explicitly set the timeout at 60 seconds??

The FAQ page seems to indicate that the default timeout for most
plugins is 10 seconds.  Why are my plugins still timing out even
though I have "-t 60"?

<quote>
First you need to identify where the timeout is occurring. Most
plugins time out after 10 seconds of not being able to contact a
service (FTP, HTTP, etc). If the plugins are timing out after a short
period of time, increase the timeout value for the plugin using the
appropriate command line argument for that plugin. This may be done in
either the command definition, or in individual service definitions.

In addition to plugins having timeouts, Nagios enforces its own
timeout value on all service checks that run. By default, this is set
to 30 seconds. If the plugin executes for more than 30 seconds, Nagios
will automatically kill it off and return a critical error for that
service. If you see entries in the log file that say a service check
timed out, this may be your problem. You can adjust the maximum
timeout value for service checks by using the service_check_timeout
directive in the main configuration file.

As a side note, there are also directives in the main config file for
setting the maximum timeout for host checks, notifications, event
handlers, and the ocsp command.
</quote>