Strange problem with plugins timing out

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Jan 30 19:44:37 CET 2009

On Jan 30, 2009, at 8:59 AM, Sean Carolan wrote:

>> Here's how my check_by_ping plugin is configured:
>>
>> command_line    $USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w 3000.0,80% -c
>> 5000.0,100% -p 5 -t 60
>>
>> Can anyone help me?  Why is it still timing out after ten seconds,
>> even when I have explicitly set the timeout at 60 seconds??
>
> The FAQ page seems to indicate that the default timeout for most
> plugins is 10 seconds.  Why are my plugins still timing out even
> though I have "-t 60"?

A few possible reasons --
	- you're not editing the right command (i.e. there are multiple
check_ping definitions)
	- your master nagios timeout is set to 10 seconds (unlikely given
your ssh check success)
	- you're not restarting nagios after changing it
	- you have multiple nagios daemons running, one or more with the old
config.

--
Marc