Ways and tweaks to make nagios more efficient. load average on monitoring host edging up.

Kyle O'Donnell kyleodonnell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 21:39:48 CET 2009

no active host checks

just active service checks (few passive too)

To disable change the host definition/template option active_checks_enabled 0

Host checks are done on demand when any service returns a critical
state (maybe a non-OK state I can't remember).  This is default nagios
functionality.

The update of your host status check results will only happen when a
host check is intiated.  If a service on that host never goes into a
non-OK state it will never execute the host check.  If it does it will
execute a host check, if the host is down it will stop executing
service checks, and use your host check_interval to continue executing
host checks, when the host returns to an OK state service check
processing will begin again.

if you want to have a host alive check that does both ssh and ping i
would suggest writing a wrapper plugin which first executes check_ssh
and upon failure executes a ping:

#!/bin/sh
hostaddress=$1
check_ssh $hostaddress